Monday, August 8, 2011

WHAT CHEER? BRIGADE!

"We wanted to make very loud music without having to rely on electricity" 

This was the response when I asked a tuba player how What cheer? Brigade got started. If the apocalypse befalls us I'm gonna be following this band around as they travel from camp to camp blasting the eardrums of huddled and ragged survivors.

Sunday I had the pleasure of catching What Cheer? Brigade's show. If You don't know the name "What Cheer? Brigade" is a large punk marching band. If you're not sure if that sounds awesome, then you might be an incredibly lame soul. They put on one of the best shows I've seen in a very very long time. 

Robots everywhere! A one man band from these parts opened for them. 






I've always had soft spot for one person bands (It must come from a childhood love of Mary Poppins-Burt anyone? opening scene?). Robots everywhere is one man, a guitar and a drum machine. The band Big Black used to call thier drum machine MR Roboto (or something like that) and it was the fourth member of the band (they never had a drummer). I didn't ask if Robots everywhere named his drum machine. If punk music has its own equivalent to hip hops Nerd Core, then Robots Everywhere falls into that catagory: Maybe. 

Next up was Math the Band. I'll just let the pictures do the talking.







WHAT CHEER? BRIGADE















2 comments: